The Church commits to safely recruiting and supporting all workers and volunteers who have any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults who attend Church activities.
In July 2021 The Church agreed new Safer Recruitment & People Management Guidance which must be fully implemented by all church settings from January 2022 for all new appointments where there is substantial contact with children, young people and / or vulnerable adults. Failure to apply these principles and practices exposes children and vulnerable adults to greater risk of abuse by people who will target and exploit inadequate safeguards.
Where the church setting works ecumenically or with partners or charities they must assure themselves that the requirements detailed in the guidance are being followed by these organisations.
Parish Identity Verifier
To use the online Disclosure & Barring Service application system, a church must appoint a Parish Identity Verifier:
- Complete the registration form here and email to email@example.com
- Read Parish Identity Verifier Induction
Safer Recruitment Training
Anyone involved in the recruitment, appointment and management/supervision of roles that have substantial contact with children, young people and/or vulnerable adults - including the Parish Identity Verifier - must complete online Safer Recruitment & People Management training here
Safer Recruitment Process Summary
A parish should use their Safeguarding Hub:
- to record DBS & training records for volunteers and employees
- for 3 year renewal DBS & training reminders for volunteers and employees
- for role outlines - with DBS eligibility guidance
- to track the safer recruitment process for new volunteers and employees
- for safer recruitment forms and templates
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an invitation to use your Hub
Prepare & Apply
At Start of Role
Safer Recruitment updates are emailed directly to Parish Identity Verifiers